Deciding to open a pizza business is not easy, especially when you think of the economic risk that, like any business, it can represent, but if you have a clear idea of everything you need things will be much easier to analyze.
The overall budget can be as limited or as high as you want, as long as you stretch your resources. There are many things to be considered, such as the oven, the placement and the number of employees. But there are various models of pizzerias, for all budgets.
In this article I detail how much it costs to set up a pizzeria.
The most expensive thing is the equipment or machinery, you must pay special attention to the equipment you are going to acquire, it will be a significant and determining investment to make your pizzas with quality and start the pizzeria with properly.
• Oven: the price will depend on whether it is electric or industrial, it costs approximately $1,100 USD. But if it is wood-fired, and equally industrial, it is about $1,500 USD.
• Pizza Refrigeration Table: To keep ingredients fresh and have a working space for the pizza, its price is approximately $1,250 USD.
• Display case: you can buy it with or without a rotating system (the latter raises the price), its price is approximately $750 USD.
• Kneader: its price is approximately $850 USD.
• Pizza maker: its price is approximately $1,000 USD.
• Refrigerator: to store drinks and supplies. Its price is approximately $700 USD.
• Pizza forming press: its price is approximately $ 1,250 USD.
• Delivery vehicle: usually a delivery motorbike is about $1,500 USD.
• Microwave: its price is about $75 USD.
• Blender: its price is approximately $60 USD.
• Digital scale: to weigh the mass equally and not have financial losses in the long run. Its price is approximately $85 USD.
Tips for choosing pizzeria equipment
As you can see, the pizzeria items in terms of equipment are high, so you should consider the following tips:
✔ There are gastronomy and pizza fairs where you will find equipment suppliers offering their devices.
✔ Although the wood-burning oven offers a slight improvement in flavor than the electric one, it is advisable to acquire the latter because of its production speed and low consumption.
✔ The display case can be obtained as a normal one without rotation, so we will only add a couple of spotlights to keep the temperature warm.
✔ The kneader, pizza maker and press can be omitted as their function is to speed up the production of pizzas. This is an expense you should best consider until your business is in high demand. While you are starting, you and your employees can take care of working the dough.
✔ As with the previous equipment, the fermenter can be dispensed with if you put the dough in bowls and cover it properly; you can buy it later.
✔ If you cannot afford a vehicle (such as a motorbike) for home service, you can opt for a bicycle to be delivered only to a certain region. Another option is to use the recent “Uber Eats” service; the point is not to take away from the customer the benefit of enjoying a pizza at home.
With these tips you will see that you can reduce the investment cost of the equipment by up to $4,600 USD.
Let’s now look at the pizzeria tools that are needed in the kitchen:
• Baking trays: should be purchased in individual, small, medium, large and rectangular sizes (for Sicilian pizza). At least 4 of each type, so it will vary in price. You can find sets of five trays on the market for about $45 USD.
• Pizza shovels: their price is about $35 USD. It is recommended to buy at least 1 unit.
• Pizza Roller: its price is approximately $ pesos 40 USD. It is recommended to buy at least 2 units.
• Slicing Spatula: its price is approximately $80 USD. It is recommended to buy at least 16 pieces.
• Oven brush: its price is approximately $30 USD. It is recommended to buy at least 1 piece.
• A pizza stand: its price is approximately $10 USD. Recommended minimum 8 pieces.
• Oven stone: which guarantees a crisp surface. Its price is approximately $65 USD. Recommended pieces according to the capacity of the oven and production of the pizzeria.
• Pizza cutter: its price is approximately $5 USD. Recommended minimum 2 pieces.
• Thermal backpack: its price is about $65 USD. Recommended minimum 2 pieces.
• Sauce Spoon: its price is about $6 USD. Recommended minimum 2 pieces.
• Dough cutter: its price is about $25 USD. Recommended minimum 2 pieces.
• Dressing brushes: Price is approximately $4 USD. Recommended minimum 4 pieces.
• Measuring cup: its price is about $15 USD. We recommend a minimum of 3 pieces.
• Measuring spoon: its price is about $7.50 USD. Recommended minimum 2 sets.
• Bowl (steel): its price is about $4 USD. Recommended minimum 10 pieces.
• Chopping boards: their price is approximately $15 USD. We recommend a minimum of 2 pieces.
• Cheese grater: its price is about $11 USD. Recommended minimum 1 piece.
Tips for choosing pizzeria utensils
✔ The market in this aspect is very competitive both in physical and online stores, do a good search and you will see that there are suppliers that give accessible prices just for the competition, and without lowering the quality.
✔ It is advisable to acquire all the pieces in wholesale since that implies a price improvement on the part of the distributor.
✔ Remember to have three or four reliable suppliers that you can always go to (in case one of them runs out of product) and that will give you a fair price.
✔ If you already have some of these utensils in your kitchen that you can use in your pizzeria, then do so, and you will save a percentage of your investment.
✔ The number of these utensils could be reduced if your premises are a little smaller, as their capacity for customers would be less, so that could mean a further saving on your investment. A 320 m2 establishment with 8 tables and 32 chairs is considered a good place to start.
Furniture and utensils for customers
• Pizza boxes: their approximate price is about $25 USD for 50 pieces. Keep in mind that most of them are large, so it is up to you to consider buying other sizes.
• Dispensers: for mustard, ketchup, botanical sauce and mayonnaise. Their price is approximately $2 USD. Recommendable minimum 24 pieces.
• Small melamine Dishes: Price is approximately $1.5 USD. Recommended minimum 32 pieces.
• Tables: their price is approximately $60 USD. Recommended minimum 8 pieces.
• Chairs: its price is approximately $40 USD. Recommended minimum 32 pieces.
• Napkins: price is approximately $2.5 USD per package with 400 pieces. Recommended minimum 2 packages.
• Napkin rings: their price is approximately $15 USD. Recommended minimum 8 pieces.
• Forks: price is approximately $0.45 USD. Recommended minimum 32 pieces.
• Table knives: price is approximately $0.70 USD. Recommended minimum 32 pieces.
Tips for choosing customer utensils and furniture
✔ One of the most common concerns is just asking how much money do I need to put up a pizzeria? Although we understand that it can be a little more expensive, it is advisable that you invest in advertising, so it is suggested that your pizza boxes carry your business logo and your contact (phone number and email), so that people will start to become familiar with your business.
✔ There are some carpenters that you can hire to make your tables, this way you will also save money, the same as with the chairs.
✔ To save on napkin rings you can consider simpler ones, such as those shaped like a metal bow.
✔ Remember that even if you are just starting out, it is not recommended that you offer disposable cutlery, as this gives the business a very bad image. On the other hand, it is better to consider buying these utensils in packages, where the cost is greatly reduced.
Also remember to list monthly consumer expenses such as rent, utilities, payroll and other additional expenses such as social media advertising and print ads.
Remember that the numbers are approximate, so this may vary depending on the demand for your pizza, consumption at your business, profits, the city where you are located, etc.